volunteer (noun, vol-un-teer, \ ˌvɑːlənˈtɪər \)
- a) is an individual that willingly accepts a task, project, or some kind of responsibility without being ordered, requested, told, or assigned to do so. Oftentimes, a volunteer performs his work without compensation but instead using motivation that he or she is doing the right thing. For instance, a volunteer may wish to assist at an organization’s charitable event for free and without being told to do so.
- b) is an act of actively taking on a task or project by an individual as a response to an official request. For instance, an employee can volunteer to study an issue or problem or to test out a new product or service.
In a Sentence:
- Sarah has acted as a volunteer at all Omega-Pharma’s charity events, feeling joy from helping others and giving back to the local community.
- The marketing department has asked for a volunteer to test out their latest advertisement series.
- If you want to get promoted, sometimes you have to volunteer for projects that no one else wants to do.
Synonyms and related words: voluntary organization, voluntary, voluntary trade, voluntary trade, voluntary redundancy