Project financing is still one of the best ways to realize the author's intention, not using all the material resources of the company. In fact, you create your offspring at the expense of interested investors, without forgoing property rights. Even in the event of a failure, the responsibility for repaying a debt is shared among the sponsors. Despite the seeming complexity, this scheme is frequently used in programs related to the energy or industry.
Why Use Project Finance?
In order to reduce a potential risk for investors, creditors form an independent, from a legal point of view, an ancillary company with own budget. It has all the assets necessary to launch a plan, as the right to enter into contracts and take loans. Credits based on the predicted cash profit from the proposal are called project financing. As a rule, after the idea is implemented and obligations are repaid, such a branch ceases to exist.
Although each offer is unique in its own way, sponsors will lend you money only if they are sure of the return of the invested currency, at least in twofold. A lot of them also expect to receive certain tax benefits that cannot be applied by you because of a lack of income.
In addition, a subsidiary has a wide network of suppliers, from equipment to the office. Usually, an agreement is undersigned between the parties on the provision of services, which makes it easier to calculate future expenses and forecast revenues. Such communication entails a decrease in the cost of loans to the borrower due to a reduction in the risks to investors.
Thus, project financing is most often address for protecting own assets. You do not risk all savings, increasing the attractiveness of a venture for creditors. Of course, in case of failure, the affiliate becomes a property of the sponsors. Nevertheless, even this option remains quite popular among start-ups.
Project Finance Structure
We have already outlined the key areas for the dissemination of the mentioned financing. But before making a final solution on the allocation of cash resources, the proposed intention should be analyzed from the position of the next characteristics.
- Correspondence of the draft’s scale to project finance situation. In a word, will realization of the idea be able to recoup the investors’ expectations? Sponsors need data that will convince them not only of the reliability of making an income but also of increasing proceeds. It is not superfluous to demonstrate the security of a scheme from an economic and legal standpoint.
- Size. You must split the required capital into reasonable parts. Too small amounts will attract a large number of creditors, which is fraught with frequent inconsistencies. But an extremely high rate can, on the contrary, deter investors. Think about the ratio of initial contributions and interest on profits.
- Risks. Assess the condition of holdings and available technologies. Ensure the reliability of own companions and in the ability to monitor all stages of the process. Develop a backup plan in case of failure. Such training will strengthen your confidence in the correct launch of the project. So, a traditional structure of project financing includes the following elements:
Special purpose project company (SPV), without business past;
- The main task of the branch is to fulfill a proposal. Therefore, in the initial stages, contracts for construction and commissioning are concluded;
- Repayment of debt is possible only after the final launch of the project;
- Shareholders are usually liable solely as part of their stocks;
- A project remains on the balance of the sponsors and the host government.
As we can see, there are a number of treaties in which lawyers clearly describe the relationship between the parties concerned.
Utilizing of project finance allows creditors to partially control the implementation of an idea. In addition, loans related to the subsidiary do not affect essential assets of the sponsors. But it is better to consult the accountant in matters of commerce and compliance with tax laws.
Such an economic regime is associated with long-term programs in which accumulated debts are returned from the generated profit. Suitable vectors include construction, oil production or renewable energy project financing. They have a low degree of risk, a predictable market and a chance to sell goods to different customers.
In addition, a project may be financed in two ways. In the first case, investors connect all the holdings and cash flows of the company, receiving additional credit. If the scheme is not successful, remaining funds can be used to repay loans. The second alternative is to divide a subsidiary and the already existing firm. Then investors will not have any claims to the assets of the dominant company.
It is worth mentioning the sponsors’ temper, each of which pursues its aims by participating in the project. Industrialists are eager to work on the future, assessing further development trends. Public figures are aimed at self-promotion through the implementation of social support. Contractors are focused on the progress and construction of industrial facilities. Financiers are interested in earning high revenues and are ready to take risks for the sake of substantial dividends.
Thus, project finance represents a way that is acceptable for attracting businessmen to create a new product. Investors help you financially to realize own creative impulse. In fact, before us is a mutually beneficial cooperation, as a result of which sponsors receive income, you realize own intention with minimal risk, and the planet gets alternative sources of energy or other useful things.